· Address teacher and student discipline and security issues
· Discuss the number of teachers each school needs to meet the appropriate teacher/student ratio
· Ascertain whether each high school has enough permanent and in-house school counselors
· Explore the current Special Needs Program and determine whether there is a sufficient number of Special Needs teachers. Furthermore, when our Special Needs students complete 12 years of education, are they receive a diploma or certification that allows them to proceed to higher education?
· Determine if the curriculum is focused on essential courses such as the English (reading and writing) Mathematics, Social Studies, Physical Education, Sciences, and the Arts. Additionally, for those students who are not seeking a college track, high schools should offer a Vocational Programs track (with parental approval) that matches students’ natural capabilities and interests.
· Determine whether the condition of the buildings and classrooms are safe to hold classes, or do they show neglect? Do the teachers have enough supplies and up-to-date equipment?
· Determine the number of teachers and staff members that are required including the competitive costs of their salaries and benefits.
· Seek the cost of incentivizing for new hires along with cost for retaining superior teachers and staff.
· Once the determination of the conditions of buildings and classrooms is made, then pursue additions or changes to the budget for schools’ upkeep and maintenance.
· If our school system is looking toward the future and its increasing number of new students, then it is necessary to hire more teachers to include English as a Second Langue (ESL) and either build additional classrooms or build new schools.
· Work alongside fellow board members and the superintendent to seek greater funding from the City Council as well as additional funding from State Education Programs.
· Meet with board members to determine common goals and interests and work toward making the Norfolk Public Schools System an exemplary model for all school systems of Virginia.
Copyright © 2022 John Sitka for Norfolk School Board - All Rights Reserved.